Literally our hotel ‘in the middle of nowhere’. Away from the main hi-way, passing through a thin, rough road and lush greens, we’re greeted by this quaint and quiet lodge.
1. Personal and Intimate Service: You’ll surely be well-attended by Sampath and Lionel with a true Sri Lankan hospitality which is the advantage of this 3-bedroom private holiday villa that’s owned by a Sri Lankan family which was now extended to visitors and tourists.
2. Sumptuous Food: We had our first real meal over dinner in the lodge after a long trip from the Philippines to Colombo and first tour at Dambulla. Lucky we coz their kitchen only cooked for us since we’re just 1 of the 2 groups of guests in the lodge. We ordered every meal in their menu from choices of inter-continental, chinese and local which was prepared by Chef Saranapal that filled our empty stomaches to the brim. Breakfast was another story and like our meal last night, they haven’t failed us with the breakfast of the champions – bread toasts with butter and marmalade, coffee, tea or papaya juice, sausages and eggs, a platter of banana and pineapple.
3. Back to Basic Amenities: As we’re brought to our rooms, you’d notice a distinct cinnamon scent and its furniture were at its simplest. Rooms were naturally ventilated with a comfortable queen and single beds with mosquito nets. The open air bathrooms add to the character of this humble abode. The hot & cold rain shower head with the soothing and organic bath gel, shampoo & conditioner, were just what we needed while looking up in the endless sky which washed away the sore in our bodies.
4. Serene & Peaceful Ambiance: Peace… peace if the one word that comes to mind when we spent that one night in Kambukgas. All you can hear were the chirping of the birds, crickets, and unfamiliar sounds of animals from afar… must be the herds of elephants passing nearby. We grab a chair outside our rooms and just stared into the stary-stary night and wished that we could have spent one more night in this unsuspecting lodge.
5. Found my favourite dessert: Sampath introduced to my ‘now’ favorite dessert – a homemade yogurt with honey, which I literally look for every time we had our meals during our stay in Sri Lanka.
In as much as we wanted to stay a little longer, we said our goodbyes to our hosts Sampath and Lionel. As they greet in their native tongue: AYUBOWAN – we wish you a long life and hope to see you again soon!
Kumbukgas Mankada Lodge | Audangawa, Kimbissa, Sigiriya, Sri Lanka | +94 77 730 5009 | Rates start at USD69